Dragon Boat Festival - Hong Kong A La Carte
5 June 2019
Friday 7 June 2019 is the Dragon Boat Festival during which many Dragon Boat races take place throughout Hong Kong. Organised every year on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month, it is also known as Tuen Ng Festival.
The legend says that thousands of years ago, Qu Yuan, an elderly man disillusioned with the government in power, jumped in the river to protest. Villagers rushed to his rescue. While some paddled to him hitting the water to scare the fish away, others threw rice balls to distract them or drummed from the shore to ask for help.
All these actions are re-enacted during the Dragon Boat festival as hundreds of well-wishers divided into colourful and brilliant teams frenetically paddle to win the cup and eat sticky rice mixed with meat or other fillings wrapped in bamboo leafs to commemorate Qu Yuan.
Here are some of our favourite spots to watch the races:
- In Stanley, SUNLIFE STANLEY INTERNATIONAL DRAGON BOAT CHAMPIONSHIPS
- In Tai O, WATER PARADE IN TAI O’S DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL
- In Aberdeen, ABERDEEN DRAGON BOAT RACES
- In Cheung Chau, CHEUNG CHAU DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL
- In Saikung, SAIKUNG DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL
- In Sha Tin, SHA TIN DRAGON BOAT RACES
- In Tai Po, TAI PO DRAGON BOAT RACES
- In Discovery Bay, DISCOVERY BAY DRAGON BOAT RACES – This festival is held on Sunday 9 June 2019
- In Victoria Harbour, THE HONG KONG INTERNATIONAL DRAGON BOAT RACES 2019 – This festival is held from Friady 14 june to Sunday 16 June 2019
Friday’s weather is going to be hot and sunny, a perfect day to spend at the beach, watching races while enjoying cold drinks. If you would like to know more about Hong Kong’s festivals, legends and folklores, book a private tour at email@example.com